David is the firm’s senior trial lawyer. He focuses his practice on defending hospitals, doctors, nurses and other health care providers in malpractice actions and before regulatory boards. His success in this area is unparalleled. David has obtained over 100 defense verdicts from Rhode Island juries in malpractice actions alone. David has also briefed and argued a host of cases before the Rhode Island Supreme Court. Many of the landmark cases in Rhode Island law regarding professional malpractice are the result of his advocacy.
In addition to trying cases, David advises doctors, dentists and hospitals in the areas of risk management, credentialing and general liability concerns. He also represents health care professionals before the Board of Pharmacy, Board of Nursing and the Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline.
Beyond professional malpractice defense, David’s vast trial experience also includes anti-trust, products liability, personal injury and libel/slander matters.
- Acted as co-lead defense counsel in class action pending Rhode Island’s trial court involving fifty defendants regarding the use of intrauterine devices.
- Obtained defense verdict for gastroenterologist following three week jury trial. The plaintiff sought $2,500,000 from the jury and claimed the doctor had negligently performed an endoscopic procedure.
- Successfully defended a hand surgeon in a three week trial in federal court.
- Received a defense verdict for a general surgeon in a case arising out of bowel perforation where the plaintiff sought $2,000,000 from the jury.
Speaking Engagements Or Publications
- David has made a number of presentations internationally, regionally and in Rhode Island regarding trial practice, with emphasis on defending medical care providers and hospitals.