James is an accomplished civil litigator focusing on the defense of medical and other professionals in both state and federal courts in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. In addition, James is regularly called upon to represent professionals before licensing and administrative boards. He is also involved in the representation of non-party witnesses and experts.
James also has experience in other areas of civil litigation and regularly provides counsel to businesses regarding contract interpretation and employment issues.
Furthermore, James has appellate experience, having been involved with a number of matters before the Rhode Island Supreme Court and the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Researched and co-authored memorandum of law regarding the scope of discovery in a ground breaking class action before the Rhode Island Superior Court related to medical devices involving over seventy defendants.
- Assisted in drafting amicus curiae brief to the Rhode Island Supreme Court regarding unauthorized practice of law.
- Retained by a local health care system to provide risk mitigation consulting through regular education and training programs on proper documentation to all of its medical providers.
- Successfully argued that a medical malpractice action against a physician should be dismissed based on the expiration of the statute of limitations.
- Persuaded a Rhode Island Superior Court jury to return a defense verdict on behalf of an oncologist accused of negligent failure to diagnose cancer.
- Obtained an arbitration award in favor of an insurance broker in proceedings brought by an insurance company alleging negligent failure to report insured’s claim.
- Substantially contributed to the successful defense of a neonatologist accused of negligent treatment of a newborn resulting in a brain injury following aspiration before a Massachusetts Superior Court jury.
- Obtained a $4.1 million jury verdict on behalf of a woman who lost her leg as a result of negligent maintenance of property and operation of a motor vehicle.