Ed has been selected as a Super Lawyer for business and corporate transactions for eleven consecutive years; and he assists the firm’s business clients for, profit and not-for-profit, with all their transactional needs, including starting new ventures, acquiring other companies or securing the financing they need to thrive and grow (he is a member of the firm's Banking Group). When the time is right, he provides counsel as they sell or merge their businesses.
Ed’s practice is not limited to major transactions, as he advises clients daily on operational issues, contract interpretation and employment issues. Ed also serves on the Boards of Directors for many of the firm’s clients.
Ed is also a member of the firm’s HealthCare Group. He provides business advice to companies of all sizes in the healthcare industry, including a number of medical practice groups.
Ed also has extensive experience in representing clients with significant real estate interests, including project development, financing and leasing.
In estate matters, Ed assists clients in tax planning and implementing their estate planning objectives. He also is named as fiduciary for many clients in connection with their estate plans.
- Represented one of Rhode Island's most established real estate agencies in asset sale
- Represented client in refinancing and syndicating of three elderly housing facilities.
- Assisted client owning manufacturing and distribution company in selling majority ownership to private equity fund and retaining managerial responsibility.
- Guided healthcare company in development, licensing and servicing of software product.
- Successfully completed on behalf of a client the sale of a former manufacturing building in downtown Providence which is to be recycled into office space.
- Represented Trustees of decedent in liquidating Rhode Island and out of state real estate.
- Represented landlord in significant lease transaction to bring hundreds of new jobs to Rhode Island.
- Developed an estate plan for a surviving spouse and family resulting in sheltering from tax $10,000,000 of assets for the next generation.
- Provides ongoing advice serving as general counsel to multi state non-profit providing youth services.
- Guided the owners of a major entertainment facility through a restructuring of ownership and financing.
- Represented client in housing business in acquisition and development of properties across the country.
- Represented the owners of a marine-related business in connection with the sale of the business to a major multi-national corporation.
- Assisted a nursing home through a re-financing via the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Guided an assisted living facility through a tax exempt financing.
- Represented clients in the software industry in both the sale and the purchase of businesses.
- Negotiated an agreement between a Rhode Island based distributor and a publicly traded, multi-national medical device provider.